I’m grateful for the tools I have to bring me back to the present moment. Let’s face it, we can get out of control spinning self-defeating stories in our heads. When I’m stressed, scared, angry, and/or confused those stories have the potential to stir-up some real chaos. Being able to bring myself back to the present moment lowers my anxiety levels and gets me to stop spinning. Just taking that break in creating unhealthy stories gives me the space I need to feed myself healthier messages. I love how simple and easy it is to just come back to right here and right now.
Today, I commit to using my tools to bring me back to the present moment. I haven’t lived a day yet where I was able to stay fully present for an entire day. Having the tools to bring me back are essential for my well-being. When I’m healthy, my relationships all benefit including the relationship I have with myself. When I’m not being present, I can get myself into real trouble physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and spiritually. Here are some of my favorite tools for bringing me back to the present moment:
- 3 deep breaths—Inhale to the count of 10 and exhale to the count of 10
- Naming what I see, hear, smell, taste, and feel—I have to be present to be able to focus on my senses
- Bird watching is a new favorite! When I can fully focus on the birds I feel complete joy in the moment
- Listening attentively to the people I love
- Listening to a guided meditation
- Washing my hands while being fully present to experience the whole thing through my senses
- Putting lotion on my hands then smelling them
- Floating in the pool and just focusing on my breath to keep me balanced
- Looking at an object and just studying it
- Feeling the energy of a tree by touching it’s trunk
I will use these tools today to bring me back to the present moment any time I notice I’ve slipped out.
With Love, Abundance, and Peace,
©Rachael Wolff 2021
Author of Letters from a Better Me: How Becoming an Empowered Woman Transforms the World — Click image to learn more