Body Scan Meditation
Body scan meditations help to develop body awareness. When we become aware of our bodies, we can be more alert to the messages they are sharing with us. How our bodies move and function have messages hidden in them tied to our beliefs, unresolved feelings, unresolved traumas, warning devices, toxic stories, intuitive receptors, and a lot of wonderful alerts alerts too. Have you ever noticed getting chills, tingling sensations, tightness, expansiveness, shooting pains, or numbness? Have you ever wondered what the sensations were trying to tell you? The first step to understanding our bodies’ messages is to first notice the sensations. Body scan meditations are a great way to do this. No, you don’t have to sit for hours or even a half hour if you don’t want to. There are body scan meditations that are shorter than 10 minutes. Here’s the one I did this morning (see YouTube link). The more aware we are of our bodies, the more we will be able to help ourselves live more attuned lives.
Once we start noticing our sensations show up in our daily lives, we can start paying attention to questions like these:
- What sensation do you feel?
- What is going on at the time you are feeling them?
- When do you feel it?
- Is it around certain types of personalities?
- How do you feel about the social/ business exchange you are having when you feel this sensation?
- Where do you feel the sensation in your body?
- Are there certain situations when the sensation comes back?
- What feelings present themselves when the sensation is present?
- Do you remember the first time you felt this sensation?
- What does your intuition tell you about the sensation?
But….don’t forget to be still and listen for the answers.
With Love and Gratitude,
Rachael Wolff, author of Letters from a Better Me and host of the From A Loving Place with Author Rachael Wolff podcast